A blog on gigs, music, art and London.

Wednesday 16 December 2009

North Sea Radio Orchestra + Nils Frahm - St Giles-in-the-Fields - 21/11/09

I finally got to go to St Giles-in-the-Fields last month to catch the North Sea Radio Orchestra play a show. It had been on my list of venues to go to for some time now. Once inside I liked it - maybe a little more modern and light in terms of decoration etc than some but still beautiful. Quite similar to St Martins-in-the-Fields down the road I guess.

Support came from Norwegian musician Nils Frahm who played an epic, abundant 40 minutes of climbing and cascading emotive solo piano. Very enjoyable. I would imagine I would get hold of some of his recorded music in 2010.

The North Sea Radio Orchestra played their usual finely assembled blend of warming, uniquely melodic part-choral, part-chamber music, picking a selection from their two albums. They also played some of the music by Vernon Elliott that they showcased at the Union Chapel earlier this year. A nice show - the 4th time I had seen them live, and the third at a church (after previous visits to St Olaves and St Martin-in-the-Fields).

No comments: