A blog on gigs, music, art and London.

Sunday 16 November 2008

Lambchop at Union Chapel

I guess the fact that I am only blogging about this concert now says a lot about my extremely busy schedule. Anyway, on Tuesday 4th November we went along to the beautiful Union Chapel in Islington to see Lambchop. It was the first time I was seeing Lambchop (although I did manage to catch Kurt Wagner at The Borderline a few months ago - see previous post).

We arrived in good time and managed to get excellent seats upstairs in the balcony, overlooking the stage. They played pretty much everything from their new album OH Ohio which although has some beautiful moments didn't really translate into a brilliant live show. I found myself thinking back to the Kurt Wagner solo show at The Borderline and comparing the two shows. If I am honest I think I enjoyed the solo show more.


'Popeye' remained as pretty as ever and, for me, represented the highlight of the set. They did finish off with a few older songs (including a quick run through 'Up With People') but I left the venue with the feeling that whereas I had enjoyed the show I had not been blown away by it.


I think they would be good contenders for the Don't Look Back series where bands play entire albums in full. Seeing them do 'Nixon' or 'Aw C'Mon/No You C'Mon' would be great (although maybe Kurt's voice may struggle with some of the songs).

Anyway, a visit to Union Chapel is always a great occasion and tonight was no different in that respect. As usual, the chapel was beautifully lit with candles and coloured lighting and the gothic arches were as striking as ever.

No comments: